Daily Thoughts

Uplifting Daily Christian Thoughts

Thursday, December 14

Precious Lord, take my hand.....

In the 1930s, a jazz musician named Tommy lived in a little apartment in the city of Chicago.

He wasn't making much money at the time, and his wife was pregnant.

He got a telegram from St. Louis and it said, "Tommy, we want to you play in a jazz band down in St. Louis. We'll pay you some money and help you pay the food bills."

His wife was pregnant and about ready to deliver any night.

It was a cold, snowy Chicago night, and she said, "Honey, you had better go. But the baby may come tonight --- I'm not sure, honey, maybe you shouldn't!".....and so they talked about it.....

"But we need the money, honey, you had better go." Tommy got on the train, went down to St. Louis, played in the concert, and that night received his check.

And as he came off the stage, he received a telegram which said, "You are the proud father of a lovely baby son.....but your wife died in child birth."

He got on the train, tears flowing down his face, feeling guilty about leaving her alone that night.

He returned to Chicago and went to the hospital only to learn that his son had died....that precious little baby!

And Tommy went into a terrible depression and in discouragement left his music.

A week went by, two weeks, three weeks went by, four weeks...

Depressed and discouraged, he then sat at the piano and began to play a little bit.

A tune began to come to his mind, so he began to pen some words.....

'Precious Lord, take my hand.....
lead me on.....
let me stand.....
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.....
through the dark and through the night.....
lead me on..... to the light.
Take my hand, precious Lord.....
Lead me home.'

Tommy Dorsey's "Precious Lord" has been called "the greatest gospel song of all time." People around the world know it, sing it, and love it because of its profound message of hope and faith. To date, the song has been translated into 32 languages.

When we are discouraged - with problems in our life too hard to bear..... with marriage problems..... with financial problems..... or health problems.....or any other problems, the only solution is.....'Precious Lord, take my hand, and lead me on, and help me stand.'

"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

Author Unknown
For more info on the Tommy Dorsey and the song see the following websites:
Precious Lord, take my hand
Story Behind the Song
Precious Lord, Take My Hand sung by Elvis Presley
YouTube - Precious Lord Take my Hand


Play Amazing Grace

Calm My Anxious Heart : A Woman's Guide to Contentment
by Linda Dillow; Price: $10.78(23% off)
Customer Review:Redefines a woman's view of contentment. Written by a person who has struggled with worry. What a different world this would be if every woman read this book. This will be ... [Buy from Amazon.com]


Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home